Friday, April 14, 2017

Snakes and Skinks

This is a handsome skink, either broad-headed or five-lined (probably five-lined now that I think about it), who has recently taken up residency on the side of my house. 


A couple of friends and I went to Waponnoca today to collect lichens, and we ended up finding seven ribbon snakes. This one bit Austyn. She said she couldn't feel it at all. Snake, I'm sorry to say, your defense mechanism does not work on biologists.


Here's one that was a little calmer. They all had a pretty blue tinge to their scales.


We didn't know what this plant was.


It was pretty though.


A funnel spider web!


The skinks were too fast for pictures, and the frogs never showed their faces. The snakes were happy to pose for us though (I think), and we found lots of lichens. It was a productive trip!


It's Good Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment