Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Review of Hunt for the Dragon Egg Thief

 Hello! For the past few months, I've been tossing around the idea of doing book reviews or author interviews on here occasionally, and TODAY IS THE DAY. I read a short story and now I'm going to review it!


First of all. Look at this cover:



So pretty.

Hunt for the Dragon Egg Thief is a newly released short story by fantasy writer, R. Joy. It is fast-paced (I would have read it in one sitting if I hadn't been interrupted) and has loveable characters and cool worldbuilding.


It is written from the point of view of Asa, a Soulreader dragon who lived through the terrible Shadow Wars and is now investigating the disappearance of several clutches of Frostcreeper dragon eggs. The dragon taxonomist in me is insanely happy. She is joined by a woman named Caelan, a.k.a. the Fair Wolf. Throughout the story, we get familiar with the dynamics of this duo and are able to see how they support each other and work together to accomplish their goal of taking down the dragon-nappers!


Though this is a very short, very character-oriented story, we do get glimpses of what promises to be a vast and colorful world. It takes place in a snowy land that makes me think of the Northern Water Tribes from Avatar the Last Airbender, and Joy does an amazing job of invoking icy imagery. It is also filled with dragons. Several species of dragons are mentioned, but their physiologies and behaviors are only touched on (furry dragons with four wings!!!!). I want to know more.


While I wish some scenes went into more depth, this is categorized as a short story, and it's very evident that there will be a follow-up novel. In fact, it looks like there will be a follow-up series! I am very much looking forward to reading book 1.


Thank you for letting me nerd out, and have a good week.


(Also, I'm twenty-nine, as of yesterday. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.)

No comments:

Post a Comment